Thursday, November 17, 2011

Getting to you know her; getting to know all about her...


It's a very ancient saying,
But a true and honest thought,
That if you become a teacher,
By your pupils you'll be taught.

 As a teacher I've been learning --
You'll forgive me if I boast --
And I've now become an expert, (Not really; not yet!)
On the subject I like most.
 

Getting to know you,
Getting to know all about you.
Getting to like you,
Getting to hope you like me.

Getting to know you,
Putting it my way,
But nicely,
You are precisely,
My cup of tea.

Getting to know you,
Getting to know all about you.
Getting to like you,
Getting to hope you like me.

Getting to know you,
Putting it my way,
But nicely,
You are precisely,
My cup of tea.

Getting to know you,
Getting to feel free and easy
When I am with you,
Getting to know what to say

Haven't you noticed
Suddenly I'm bright and breezy? (Um, not exactly!!!)
Because of all the beautiful and new
Things I'm learning about you
Day...by...day.

--From the "King and I"--Richard Rodgers 



This little tune sums up the way--for the most part--things are going around here this week.  I'm by no means an "expert" and am definitely not "bright and breezy" yet.  

Last week I was in the throes of being schooled by Miss Millie Mei and it was pretty tough.  I was overwhelmed, frustrated, and exhausted.  Things I thought worked, backfired.  She threw curve balls right and left.  Nothing seemed to work.  There was absolutely NO WAY I could have busted out in this song at any point and, if you know me, you know I love a good show tune!

This week has been going significantly better.  I think there are many things I can chalk it up to but I will admit I've been thinking a lot about what it says in Lamentations 3:22-23: "Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.  They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness."   

I love that every day God gives us a fresh start with new opportunities.  I love that we also are given a choice to look at things in a positive or negative manner.  After a couple of uplifting talks with friends who've walked this path, our first post placement visit with our social worker, encouraging notes and words from friends and family, prayer, and some internal pep talks, I've been trying to have more peace in the process of getting to know Millie.  Who knows, maybe one day I'll be able to bust out in this song like Deborah Kerr (or is it Carr?) and really be "bright and breezy" because I am an "expert" on all things Millie Mei.

xo~
Lisa

3 comments:

Kate said...

Lisa...so happy this is a better week. I am so encouraged reading your posts. The road we have chosen does not come without struggle...but the end is so sweet. You will persevere...and I just know a song is coming. Too early to tell about Jillian...but my path with Lia...very bumpy...and I woudn't trade it for the world. Take peace in the process.

The Byrd's Nest said...

Weeks are so off and on with them:) Praying for you and for peace in her heart. God made you her mother and I'm so thankful she is your baby girl:)

TanyaLea said...

Amen sister!! Praise the Lord that His mercies are new EVERY morning! So glad to hear this week was better. I'm praying things just keep getting better with each passing day. It's wonderful seeing her home with you, and it all just takes time.

Blessings and Hugs,
~Tanya